The national coat of arms of Panama is a symbol of the country’s sovereignty and independence. It features a shield divided into four quarters, each representing a significant aspect of Panama’s history and culture. The shield is surrounded by two branches of oak and laurel, which symbolize strength and victory, respectively. Above the shield is a blue ribbon with the words “Republica de Panama” (Republic of Panama) inscribed in gold letters.
The first quarter of the shield depicts a golden sun rising over the Pacific Ocean, with a blue sky and white clouds in the background. This represents Panama’s location as the easternmost country in the Pacific time zone and its role as a bridge between the Americas. The sun also symbolizes the country’s bright future and the hope of a new day.
The second quarter shows a ship sailing on the Caribbean Sea, with a blue sky and white clouds in the background. This represents Panama’s history as a center of trade and commerce, as well as its strategic location on the isthmus between North and South America. The ship also symbolizes the country’s maritime heritage and its connection to the sea.
The third quarter features a mountain range with a green field in the foreground. This represents Panama’s natural beauty and its rich biodiversity, as well as its history as a land of mountains and forests. The green field also symbolizes the country’s agricultural heritage and its commitment to environmental conservation.
The fourth quarter shows a crossed rifle and sword, with a red field in the background. This represents Panama’s military history and its tradition of defending its sovereignty and independence. The red field also symbolizes the blood shed by Panamanian patriots in the struggle for freedom and democracy.
The colors of the coat of arms are significant as well. The blue and red represent the two political parties that united to achieve independence from Colombia in 1903. The white represents peace and purity, while the gold represents the country’s wealth and prosperity.
The national coat of arms of Panama has a long and complex history. It was first adopted in 1904, just one year after the country gained independence from Colombia. The original design was created by a Frenchman named Felipe Neri Sevilla, who was living in Panama at the time. Sevilla’s design featured a shield with a blue and white background, a golden sun, and a ship sailing on the sea.
Over the years, the coat of arms underwent several revisions and modifications. In 1934, the oak and laurel branches were added to the design, along with the blue ribbon with the country’s name. In 1941, the mountain range and green field were added to represent Panama’s natural beauty and agricultural heritage. The crossed rifle and sword were added in 1949 to represent the country’s military history and tradition of defending its sovereignty.
Today, the national coat of arms of Panama is a powerful symbol of the country’s identity and heritage. It is displayed on the country’s flag, currency, and official documents, and is recognized around the world as a symbol of Panama’s sovereignty and independence.